Thursday, May 2, 2019

Series Painting 1


Name: Unnamed
Medium:Acrylic on Mixed Media Paper
Description:
     This was the first of a series of paintings I did with the central theme being bridges. I like bridges, they come in many sizes, shapes, materials, age and purposes. They invite a sense of wonder as to where they will lead. In this piece I went with a small more traditional stone bridge that crosses over a river with mountains looming in the background. As this is a more natural environment, plants grow from cracks in the rocks and bridge, further back trees and bushes grow near the bank of a river, and in the far distance mountains have grass grow against them towards the sun.

    Over all this piece was mostly for me to experiment with brushes and an attempt to get better at blending colors. While I have a better understanding of how the brushes will stroke on the paper I felt that my color blending on this piece was very weak and I wasn't very happy with it. I attempted to add depth to the mountains by having them get lighter/foggier as they go further back from the view towards the center of the piece. Another thing I needed to practice more from here was doing trees. The tree behind the bridge looks more like a big bush as little to none of the colors behind it bleed though and is instead a large amorphous blob of greens. While I learned a fair amount from this one, I felt it wasn't much to show off.

No comments:

Post a Comment