Thursday, May 2, 2019

Social Project

Name: Unnamed
Medium: Acrylic on canvas
Description:
    This piece was done on a piece of coarse canvas drop cloth which had been cut to an appropriate size. Two laters of white gesso were then applied and sanded to create a surface for traditional acrylic paint to stick to easier. Finally the piece was painted with traditional acrylic paint.

     Steve Irwin was the closest thing I had as a childhood hero/idol. He was a crazy Australian man who followed his passions and attempted to teach people to respect nature through a very different and hands on view of nature in contrast to the standard documentary format that had been traditionally used. The quote on the piece reads "Whatever you want to do in this world, it is achievable. The most important thing that I've found, that perhaps you could use, is be passionate and enthusiastic in the direction that you choose in life, and you'll be a winner." which is a qoute I took to heart as a kid and I try to apply my passions to what I do in my life.

   As for technical thoughts,  this was the first time in over half a decade that I had painted. I hadn't used enough gesso on the canvas prior to doing the actual painting and this lead the surface to be rough with many crevices and bumps which in turn led to making high detail areas like the eyes difficult to do symmetrically on both sides of the face. This also made it very hard to do the text on the piece and lead to it being very uneven looking and rough. Lastly while I decided to call it finished so I could move on to the next assignment I feel the lack of a background really detracts from the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment